Article By: Hadia Hassan
Who doesn’t love a scrumptious, moderately spicy slice of carrot cake with their evening cup of coffee? We all kind of love the cream cheese frosting on top and the specks of pecans and carrots inside. A good moist carrot cake is enough to make anyone’s day! You don’t necessarily have to go all the way to a coffee shop to get one! You can make one at home with this simple recipe and even impress all your future in-laws with this sensational carrot cake!
Follow all the steps below to make your own finger-licking carrot cake!
Here is everything you need:
1. 3 eggs
2. ½ cup water
3. 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
4. 1 cup brown sugar
5. 12 ounces unsalted butter
6. ¼ teaspoons nutmeg powder
7. 1 teaspoon each of baking soda and baking powder
8. ¾ teaspoon salt
9. ½ teaspoon ground ginger
10. 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
11. 5 cups of all-purpose flour
12. ½ cup granulated sugar
13. 2 ¾ cup carrots peeled and shredded on a box grater
14. 1 cup of finely chopped pecans for the batter and 1 cup of roughly chopped pecans for garnish
15. Cream cheese frosting for carrot cakes
Photo: via betsylife
Here are the steps you need to follow to get the perfect carrot cake!
1.Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter three round cake pans and apply butter parchment paper to their bottom.
2. Dust with flour and brush off the excess.
3. Add the dry ingredients including the flour, baking soda and powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger in a bowl and whisk them lightly.
4. In a separate mixing bowl beat the sugars and butter until fluffy and smooth. Add eggs one by one and keep beating after the addition of each egg.
5. After beating the batter for 3 minutes, add vanilla, water and the carrots to it. Add the flour gradually and beat the mixture at a slow speed.
6. Add the chopped pecans to the batter and mix it with a spatula. Pour the batter equally into the 3 containers and put them in the oven
7. Rotate the pans after they’re done halfway through. You can insert a toothpick in one of the cakes to see whether they’re done all the way through or not. Once the surface turns golden brown you can remove them from the oven and let them cool for about 15 minutes.
8. Run a knife on the sides of the cake to loosen up the edges. Take the cakes out of the containers and let them cool.
Photo: via The Spruce Eats
Here’s how you can put together your cake!
1.Trim the rounded edges of two of the cakes. Places the bottom tier (flat side up) on your serving dish. Place the second tier on top of the first one with the cut side up.
2. Place the final tier on top and then apply an even coat of icing on the entire surface.
3. Sprinkle the roughly chopped pecans on sides and the top of the cake.
4. Enjoy your cake!
Photo: via The Spice House
Refrigerate the cake for about an hour before serving it.